The International (Elite) Ph.D. Program in the Department of Computer Science and Technology at Peking University is an English-based program oriented to non-Chinese students. It aims at educating and advancing talented young scholars for high-quality research in the field of computer science. This program lasts 5 years for applicants with Bachelor's Degree and 4 years with Master's Degree. It involves coursework, independent research, and dissertation. This program enrolls approximately 10-20 overseas students annually.
· This program includes many outstanding faculty members who taught and conducted research at prestigious institutions overseas previously, such as University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (USA), University of Minnesota (USA), York University (Canada), University of Liverpool (UK), University of Tokyo (Japan) and CNRS (France).
· Students in this program are guaranteed full financial aid once they are accepted.
· We value diversity. Currently we have students from Canada, Australia, Spain, Mongolia, Nigeria, and Pakistan.
· Applicants are not required to have a basic understanding of the Chinese language.
||Natural Language Processing
|Microprocessor Design, System on Chip
||Embedded and Mobile Systems
|Hardware Software Co-design
|Computer Network and Distributed Systems
||Security, Trustworthy, and Reliable Systems
|Databases and Data Mining
||Theory of Computation
|Cloud Computing & Big Data
||Economics and Computation
|Intelligent Edge Computing
|Intelligent Software & Requirement Engineering
|Languages, Compilers, and Runtime Systems
||Warehouse-Scale and Parallel Systems
· Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens;
· Applicants must complete all academic requirements and obtain a Bachelor or Master’s degree before enrollment (August 31);
· Applicants should meet the health requirements, compliance with Chinese government laws, regulations and school rules and regulations.
· Non-native English speakers who undertook their studies in a language other than English are required to demonstrate English language proficiency by providing TOEFL (iBT, Internet-Based TOEFL) >=100 or GRE >= 320 or IELTS >= 6.5. Scores lower than the given requirements could still be considered but on a competitive basis.
How to Apply
· PKU Application Form for International Students (Master and Ph.D. Programs) with a photograph attached. Please visit http://www.studyatpku.com, fill in the application form and submit, then print the auto-generated hardcopy for reference. The application must be completed on or before March 31, 2020 (Beijing time).
· Graduation certificate and degree diploma (applicants expecting to graduate should provide an official letter stating the expected graduation date). Must be original documents or certified copies in either Chinese or English.
· Official transcripts must be up to the present, including dates of attendance, all subjects studied, grades earned and marks achieved on examinations. Must be original documents or certified copies in either Chinese or English.
· A personal statement (1,500 words, in English, including research proposal). The template can be downloaded at http://www.isd.pku.edu.cn/HOME/Download.htm.
· 3 recommendation letters are required. The referees should be professors/associate professors or person with relevant academic/professional title. At least one of them should have knowledge of the applicant's recent academic or research work. The recommendation letters must be in either Chinese or English. The template of recommendation letters can be found at http://www.isd.pku.edu.cn/HOME/Download.htm.
· Official proof of English proficiency test scores if needed (TOEFL, IELTS or GRE) Students whose mother language is not English must have TOEFL >= 100, unless they received a Bachelor's degree from an English-speaking university.
· 1 photocopy of the applicant's valid passport (the passport type must be ordinary).
· Table of contents and abstracts of the applicant's research publications and any other original achievements in the applicant's study area.
Note: Two copies of all application materials are required, one original and one duplicate. Please hand in personally or send them by post to International Students Division of Peking University (Please see the “contact information” below for the detailed mailing address. The envelope must be marked “Application for Graduate Admission”). The application can be sent or mailed starting from September 30, 2019. The deadline is March 31, 2020. If the application materials are mailed, the postmark date shall be on or before March 31, 2020.
· Initial Screening. After the International Student Office receives the application materials, the admission committee from the Department of Computer Science and Technology will evaluate the complete application materials. The application will be evaluated from different aspects, such as the strength of the recommendation letters, academic record, applicant's research proposal and career planning. Applicants who passed the initial screening will receive an interview offer in April 2020.
· Interview. The admission committee will conduct a comprehensive evaluation interview of the candidates who passed the screening. Candidates will mainly talk about personal research experience, opinions on the research area of interest, and proposed study/research directions of interest.
· Admission. Based on the results of the interview, the admission committee makes its recommendations for admission to the Department of Computer Science and Technology. Peking University makes the official admission decisions, and an "Admission Notice" will be sent to the admitted candidates by the end of June 2020.
There is a non-refundable application fee of 800 RMB (or equivalent US dollars). Applicants are required to use the online payment while applying through the PKU online application system. Incomplete application materials or application without application fee will not be processed. All the application materials will NOT be return.
Tuition & Scholarship
The Department of Computer Science and Technology at Peking University provides scholarships for each candidate per academic year. The exact amount of fees is subject to the admission notice officially issued by PKU. We encourage and support all the successful candidates to apply for scholarships at PKU.
For detailed information, please visit http://www.isd.pku.edu.cn/. As an example, the Chinese Government Scholarship will provide registration and tuition fees, basic learning materials every semester; accommodation at Zhongguanyuan Global Village at Peking University, the fee for outpatient medical service, Comprehensive Medical Insurance and Protection Program, and generous living allowance.
International Students Division,
Office of International Relations (For application)
New Sun Student Center,
Peking University, BJ, 100871 PRC
People's Republic of China
TEL: (86-10)-6275 1230
FAX: (86-10)-6275 1230
International Ph.D. Program Admission,
Department of Computer Science and Technology (For program enquiry)
Room 1122, 1st Science Building
Peking University, BJ, 100871 PRC
People's Republic of China
TEL: (86-10)-6275 0278
*For commonly asked questions, please visit https://cs.pku.edu.cn/info/1115/2350.htm