The School of Computer Science at Peking University, Beijing, China, seeks for top international students to join the graduate programs and conduct innovative and impactful research in a world-class research environment, and to cultivate world-class talents in computer science.
All students admitted to the Ph.D. program will receive full financial support, including tuition and monthly stipend.
General Information of the Program
1. Major: Computer Science and Technology
For more detailed information on research fields, please refer to the program catalog at: https://admission.pku.edu.cn/zsxx/lxszs/lxszyml/index.htm
2. Full-time enrollment, courses are taught in Chinese or English
a) For students with master’s degree, the typical length for Ph.D. program is 4 years;
b) For students with bachelor’s degree, but no master’s degree, the typical length for Ph.D. program is 5 years;
c) The length of the Master’s program is 3 years.
3. For more information about faculty members and their research directions, please refer to the School of Computer Science website: https://cs.pku.edu.cn/internationalization/Advisor.htm
4. All students will live and study at the New Campus (Changping).
1st Round: October 16 – December 15, 2023
2nd Round: January 1 – January 31, 2024 (Chinese-taught program)
January 1 – February 28, 2024 (English-taught program)
Visit the application website (http://www.studyatpku.com), fill in the application and upload the following documents:
1) Graduation and degree certificates and degree authentication in Chinese or English. For degree certificates in other languages, applicants are required to upload both the original copy and a notarized copy in Chinese or English. Degree diplomas awarded by overseas universities must be authenticated by the Chinese Service Center for Scholarly Exchange, Ministry of Education, P. R. China (CSCSE). Degree diplomas awarded by universities in mainland China must be authenticated by the Center for Student Services and Development, Ministry of Education, P. R. China (CSSD).
Note: Applicants who graduated before 2024 must upload their degree authentication report during the application period. Applicants expected to graduate in 2024 must provide an official letter from their current university stating their expected graduation date, submit their certificate of graduation upon being pre-admitted, and present their original degree diploma upon registration.
2) Official transcripts. These must be original documents or notarized copies either in Chinese or English.
3) A personal statement (including a research plan: 1500 words for the master's degree program, 3000 words for the doctoral program).
Please click the link to download the template:
4) Resume and a copy of the Commitment for Application. Please click the link to download the template for the Commitment:
5) Two recommendation letters from professor(s) or associate professor(s) related to the applicant’s major (or equivalent professionals with relevant academic title), either in Chinese or English. Once applicants submit the application, the application system will send a link to the recommenders, and the recommenders should click the link and complete the recommendation either by filling out the form online or by uploading the scanned copy of the signed letter.
Click the link to download the template:
6) Original Chinese or English language test scores:
➢ For Chinese-taught programs, language test scores fulfilling the following standards are eligible for submission.
HSK (Confucius Institute HSK)
Writing section (composition)
HSK 6, score of above 200
Not lower than a score of 65
Note: Qualified HSK 7-9 level scores are also accepted.
➢ For English-taught programs, applicants whose native language is not English are required to submit TOEFL iBT (100 points or above) or GRE (320 points or above) or IELTS (6.5 points or above). Applicants are exempt from the English Proficiency requirement if they have completed a bachelor's degree (or higher) in an English speaking country or at an institution where English is the main language of instruction. (Candidates who graduated from non-Chinese university are required to obtain the Accreditation Report from the CSCSE)
7) Information page of the valid passport (passport type must be ordinary). The expiration date of passport should be after December 2024.
8) Table of contents and abstracts of the applicant’s academic publications and any other original achievements in his/her field (if applicable).
Note: Applicants should scan the original or notarized application documents in color using a scanner. Images captured by mobile phone or camera are NOT acceptable.
The eligibility of all the applicants will be evaluated by the Admission Committee, organized by the School of Computer Science. The committee will select qualified applicants and inform the candidates about the interview details. The interview will be held in March or April 2024. The specific date and time will be posted on the School website. Applicants should check regularly for relevant online information posted.
1) The School of Computer Science will notify pre-admitted candidates before the end of May. The list will be posted on the School website as well.
2) The pre-admitted candidates should download and print the application form and, together with other required original application documents (except for degree diploma and recommendation letters), deliver or mail the materials to the International Student Division of Peking University.
Deadline: May 31, 2024
Address: Room 330, International Student Division, New Sun Student Center, Peking University. Please note on the envelope: Graduate student application materials
4) The International Student Division will issue the official admission letter, visa application form (JW201/JW202) and other documents to the admitted students in late June 2024.
Tuition and Scholarship
The tuition fee of the Ph.D. program:
Chinese-taught program: RMB 40,000 Yuan per year, and RMB 160, 000 Yuan in total for four years (Direct-Ph.D. program: RMB 200, 000 Yuan in total for five years)
English-taught program: RMB 50,000 Yuan per year, and RMB 200,000 Yuan in total for four years (Direct-Ph.D. program: RMB 250,000 Yuan in total for five years).
The tuition fee of the Master’s program:
Chinese-taught program: RMB 33,000 Yuan per year, and RMB 99,000 Yuan in total for three years
English-taught program: RMB 50, 000 Yuan per year, and RMB 150,000 Yuan in total for three years
Admitted students must apply for one of the scholarships:
(1) Chinese Government Scholarship (Type B): tuition waiver, for-free accommodation, monthly living expenses and medical insurance provided in accordance with the regulations.
(2) Beijing Government Scholarship for International Students: tuition subsidy.
(3) Peking University Scholarship for International Students: tuition waiver, monthly living expenses, medical insurance.
Note: The evaluation of scholarships will be carried out in accordance with the relevant regulations of the government and the university. For more information, please pay close attention to notices posted at http://www.isd.pku.edu.cn.
Financial support from the School of Computer Science will be awarded as complement to the above scholarships for Ph.D. students, to guarantee that all Ph.D. students will receive full financial support. (A limited number of outstanding students will also be awarded special scholarships).
Ÿ School of Computer Science, Peking University, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ÿ International Students Division, Peking University, Tel: (86-10) 62751230
For Visa and other information please refer to the official university application guide “2024 Application Information for International Students (Master's Degree and Ph.D. Degree)”: